Everyone who has started building small test circuits knows this problem well: you want easy access to low voltages often not found off “wall-wart” packs, and it needs to be something which plugs into a breadboard easily.
You can get plenty of small bench supplies which will deliver the voltages, but you’re still stuck with less than ideal ways to connect it to your breadboard. Alternatively you can build a small power supply on one end of the board. Or, you could use this board.
This board packs the regulators, smoothing capacitors, and some power LEDs into a small board you can easily plug into any breadboard. Unlike some breadboard power supplies, this one sits in the “IC” well of the breadboard. This means it will fit any breadboard, and can provide two different voltages off the same DC input.
It provides easy access to the remaining pins of each row to connect it to any side power rails or any other wires which need to be hooked to either power or ground.
They are shipped fully assembled (as shown in the photo above).
- DC input: 9-12V DC (center-positive 2.1 barrel jack)
- DC Output: Two fixed configuration outputs, 3.3 and 5V @ 1000ma; custom voltages between 1.25-13.8V DC @ 1000mA on request
- Two power indication LEDs, one for each DC output
- Protected against reverse polarity DC input
- Outputs are not fused against overcurrent
- All specifications subject to change
- Uses the same LM1117A variant as 1.x
- P-Channel MOSFET for reverse polarity rather than diode
- More compact layout, ADJ resistors located on the back of the board
- Schematics and Gerbers coming soon..
- TLV1117 datasheet (LDO Voltage Regulator) [PDF]
- Breadboard PSU 1.0 Schematic [PDF]
- Breadboard PSU 1.0 Eagle Files
The PCB design and schematics are released under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike (BY-SA).
Version 1.x is now deprecated.
Version 2.0 will soon be available from Nice Gear.
Some futher pictures of the board in various states of design.